Saturday, November 1, 2008

What it's really all about...

If you focus on personal finances, business finances, the monthly budget...it is enough to make you want to throw up. At least that is the case around here. It is a horrible time to own a small, slightly upper scale boutique. It is a horrible time to be realizing as a family you probably really screwed up in how you viewed money, spent money, and didn't save much money. These are the things that have weighed on my mind, consumed my thoughts and given me nightmares.

I had to force my thoughts to something else yesterday as the day was all about the kids. I hosted the halloween party in Z-man's class. As we were checking in at the school office, Miss Sunshine was getting lots of love. The secretary and I were talking about how much her brothers love her. She said that our boys are some of the sweetest, most well behaved, kind students she has ever had the priviledge to know..and she has been the secretary since the dino's roamed! She said,"do you realize what an inspiration your family is...in all you do and the kids you have raised? We all think you are quite amazing" Needless to say I was humbled. Then it was off to the class room, where I got the joy of spending 2 hours hanging out with some very cool 3rd graders.

After that is was back home, to create last minute costumes and get ready. Usually we order pizza...homemade this year. My eldest says "mom this is so much better than the ordered kind!" I decorated their faces with face paint and was told I was amazing. We loaded everyone up and began our trick or treat adventure, down the hill, ending at the HS for the section finals game for the football team. We have a wonderful neighborhood and it was so fun to be amongst the throng of tricker treaters. We got to the game, and found our "spot". We LOVE our football and even Sassy Spice is into it. The girl who should have been sleeping, was clapping and hollering right along with the rest of us. I counted 4 times that someone came up and told me what a beautiful family we have...again I was humbled. Our team won. We stuck around till the last players were off the field so my football crazy boys could high five the quarterback. This was the moment that made the night for all of us. The sweet HS quarterback, comes off the field and sees B, riding on his daddy's shoulders...his hand stretched out for a high five. He comes up and says..."That last touchdown, I threw that one for you!" and he high-fived all the boys. And I was a little teary. The world sucks right now. Our finances suck right now. Business sucks right now. But on a chilly fall night, a sweaty highschool seinor and 3 awed little boys, slammed everything into perspective. It is all about relationships. Raising good, solid kids who are secure in their family. It is about adding a child to our family that gives people pause, making them stop and think about blessings and opportunity and love. It is about being part of a community that cares for each other, and taking the time to put a smile on someone elses face. And it is about having a faith, deep down in your roots, that allows you to see what it is really all about.

5 comments:

melanie said...

We are indeed privileged to know your family. Love you all lots, melanie

Julie said...

What a thoughtful post. (:

Cindy said...

Very sweet post! I am glad you had a wonderful day!

Cathy said...

What an awesome post. So truly reflective and thoughtful

Kristina said...

I am also about to throw up while looking at our current checking account balance. So I cruised over to the sweetpeas sight and ended up in tears!! It really is all about family and love. I'll just have to keep praying about the checkbook:)
Thanks Mama Sweetpea!
You're the best!!