Friday, September 28, 2007

A Journey...not for the Faint of Heart

"We're adopting our 4th child"
"Oh really? How wonderful! China or Guatemala?"
"Ethiopia actually."
"Isn't that somewhere in Africa?"
"Yep it sure is!"
"So your daughter will be black?"
"Yes"
"Oh"
end of conversation....
I had this conversation with a fairly regular customer at the shop not too long ago. I was saddened and disappointed by her reaction, but unfortunately not surprised. I have been amazed at the "conversational double takes" that have occurred as we have told people we are adopting from Ethiopia. The best comment I have received was from a friend who hadn't learned of our plans. I told her "Ethiopia" and waited for the look of confusion that is becoming all too familiar. Much to my delight, she smiled and sighed..."Oh that gorgeous latte skin!!" Exactly...that gorgeous skin, amazing eyes, and the history of a people living in the basket of humanity. It is the country that has touched my heart, and a people I will proudly call family.

This week on The View, it was discussed that Paris Hilton wants to go to Rwanda. Sherri (Sheppard) said, “Oh, those poor babies. People used to get Chinese babies, now everyone gets African babies. It’s a Louis Vuitton bag.” Barbara said, to set the record straight, that she is not going there to adopt a baby, but to bring attention to the area so they can get more aid. So my wanting to adopt a child from Africa is similar to me going to buy a lovely (or ugly) designer purse. I think NOT! Needless to say, I believe The View has been inundated with e-mails from families adopting children, not accessories. I also hear all the time..."oh that child will be so lucky." No she will not. She will have been through a horrible and tragic loss, she will go from her mother, to perhaps 2-3 other caregivers before she comes to us. She will be uprooted from her family, her culture, and all that is familiar. I am not the ideal person to raise this child. Ideally, she should be raised in her country by her family. This will not be possible for her, and I will be her next best option. She is not the lucky one, I am. I am lucky to call her daughter and have the chance to raise her. It is an honor and a privileged to be given the opportunity to raise her. She is not an accessory...this path is not for the faint of heart.