Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Things to ponder

We had an interesting discussion going on the Ethiopia Adoption Forum today. Someone posed the question..."What, if anything, do we owe Ethiopia after we bring our children home?" This question has been stirring in my soul all day.

I truly feel that we do not "owe" Ethiopia anything. Now that being said, I do feel that we owe our daughter the chance to learn the customs, culture, and heritage that is hers. Ethiopia is now a part of our family and our culture. I also feel that God has guided us to adopt from Ethiopia first because this is where our daughter is and secondly, because we are supposed to do something with all that we will see and experience. The trip we will take to Ethiopia will change us in more ways than adding a child to our family. I am fully prepared to be impacted to the roots of my soul.

I think God has plans for us...big plans. I don't think we "owe" Ethiopia anything in the sense that we have a debt to pay, but the fabric that is Ethiopia is now woven into the life that is mine, and the threads will undoubtably cross and create a new canvas, one that I can only imagine. God has called, we are answering. We owe it to God to listen, learn, and act... to be God's stewards in the country that gives life to our daughter, and new colors to our canvas.
Maybe it will take the shape of small changes in our life...only purchasing Fair Trade Coffee, supporting the Children's Home Society in the growth of their Ethiopia program, or raising the awareness of the plight of Ethiopia's orphans in our congregation ...or maybe it will be much bigger...something bold and important that I can't imagine yet. All I know is that Ethiopia, her people, her land, her spirit...are alive in my soul...and I listen and wait for all God has in store.

No comments: