Wednesday, February 20, 2008

When it rains it pours!

So it was one of the coldest nights of the winter last night. Lows in the -teens and windchills at -40 to -50. At about 3am, I woke up and could smell something hot. I have a hyper sensitive sense of smell, hubby often can't smell what I can smell. I got out of bed and sniffed around the room. It smelled like an overheated curling iron or a melting electrical smell. Living in an almost 100 yr old house, you tend to pay attention to those hot smells! The smell came and went. I was freezing and had found no imminent danger, so I crawled back in bed. At 545 I woke up with an even stronger smell assulting my nose, something was not right. I woke up E, (and B who was in our bed by then). He of course couldn't smell anything and I think thought i was a tidge off my rocker. But B could smell it too. I checked cords and lights, the treadmill, nothing felt hot or smelled hot to the touch. I went so far as going down to the garage (right under the bedroom) to see if something in there smelled. Nothing. Now I really thought i was crazy! When I got back upstairs I realized how cold our bedroom was compared to the rest of the house. (It has a seperate furnace) Sure enough it was 60 and falling as I watched. I found the source of the the smell, the furnace. So E went out in the garage to see what he could do, a lot of banging, more stinky smells and no heat. So long story short, seems the smell I smelled all night was the motor on the furnace burning up...so no heat in our part ofthe house....and I am guessing a heafty bill to have it fixed. At least I know I am not crazy!

2 comments:

hotflawedmama said...

Oh! what an awful couple posts (good because they were written well and you poured your heart out, bad because the situations)! I'm thinking of you and praying for you! I refuse to believe you'll be hanging out until court closures REFUSE!

Kris said...

Oh man!!!

So sorry!

That stinks! (pun intended!)