Monday, August 6, 2007

Always an Adventure


Well, I have taken the plunge and decided to start a blog. I am doing this for a few reasons. First, to keep friends and family up to date on our journey to our daughter, but also for all those taking a similar journey. I have learned so much from the blogs I have read on adoption, and in a strange cyberspace kind of way, feel connected to this family of adoption bloggers! So I thought I would join in on the conversation. You who know me, know I like to get my 2 cents in!

So, our little family of 5 has begun a most incredible adventure. We are blessed with our three boys, (my sweetpeas) and wouldn't trade them for the world. But our family isn't complete. We have so much more love to give and in all honesty, this mommy needs to parent a daughter. Being done with pregnancy, and realizing the world is full of children who need families, I think we can say God placed adoption in our hearts.

As all good adventures with God at the helm go, this journey has already had some interesting twists and turns. When the idea of adoption was just a seed in my soul, I was sure our daughter would be Asian. Maybe it was because that is what was familiar, or what was expected. As we began to read and Eric warmed to the idea, an Asian child was still our plan. God had a different plan. As we attended the information meeting at our agency, I picked up the Ethiopia flier. "I know this isn't where she is, but I am all for information" I said to myself. God smiled.

As the months passed and we learned a little more, the doors to the Asian countries started closing. The reasons where varied, but the doors were closed. I felt the hope of a daughter slipping away. Then God smiled again. The Ethiopia brochure lay open in the basket in the bathroom (you know that is where the the best reading happens!) A number of different experiences led us to believe that maybe this daughter of ours was in Africa...maybe she was in Ethiopia. From the recently adopted boy in our choir to an Oprah special...God was telling us just where she is. And so begins our journey.

I have such a peace about the whole process. (Okay peace does not necessarily mean patience!) I know that my daughter will come from Africa. I know that as I hold her in my arms, I will also embrace her culture and the country that is sharing her with me. We will change the fabric of our family for generations...we are no longer just your typical Scandinavian midwesterners...we are a multicultural family.

So come along on this journey with me. No doubt I will ramble and misspell some key words, :) but I write from my heart...and smile as the seed planted in my soul blossoms into my sunshine!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Congratulations!!! I am very happy for all of you. As I have learned from experience a journey off the beaten path is not always smooth but the destination is well worth the bumps encountered along the way. I know you have the strength and support needed for your journey. She doesn't know how blessed she is to be a part of your family. Good luck with the process. I'm excited to hear more! Love to all, Cindy Jo

Cindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kris said...

We can't wait to meet her, Erica. Thanks for starting this to keep us all updated! We love you!

--her Aunt, Uncle, and Cousins

JMagnus said...

I am so glad that you started blogging about the adoption process - some day she will look back and be able to read about how excited we all were to meet her. I can't wait!!!

Carolyn said...

What an awesome adventure! It is so amazing how God works. I can't wait to hear more about the process. We are excited to meet the new member of the family. Hugs and kisses to all.
Love you.
Carolyn