Thursday, August 23, 2007

Playing the Numbers Game

There is a lot of speculation in the Ethiopia Adoption community right now. In Ethiopia, the courts close during the rainy season. Our agency ceases giving referrals during this time. It is just about time for referrals to start back up again and everyone is playing the numbers game! It is a fun and nerve racking game all at the same time! The latest numbers floating around are that there are 100 families on the waiting list at our agency. They expect to start giving out 25-30 referrals a month sometime in the next few days or weeks. We are just about done with the dossier prep (thanks to my most fabulous paper-chasing hubby) and hope to be on that list in a matter of 1-2 weeks. So doing the math (yes, not my best subject) we could have a referral by Dec-Jan and travel in March! Holy Moly! Now here is the down side to this game...things in international adoption can change on a dime. We chose Ethiopia partly because it is a very stable program...none the less...what is true at this moment, may not hold true in a month or two. But oh how exciting to stew the possibilities. From the start, my gut has said she will come home to us in March (good things always happen to us in March!) So I am putting my hat in the numbers game and for today...saying referral by Jan, sweet baby girl in my arms by March!

Feel free to toss your own hat in the ring! I love a little speculation!

2 comments:

hotflawedmama said...

I'll go with March too! Finally talked to our SW the other day. First homestudy tentatively on Sept. 4th. hurry and come!!!!! :) Good luck on the paperchase!

Courtney and Paul said...

I found your blog through the CHSFS forum and I'm at about the same spot as you in the paper chase game and March would be amazing. I'm a pessimistic thinker though, and we're planning on travel in May or June (still relatively soon, though). Good luck with everything.

Courtney