Thursday, August 9, 2007

Putting out the welcome mat...


So a man is coming to my house to see if it is fit for children and to see if I am a fit parent. I know my house is fit for kids...this house was made for kids (literally, it was orig. an orphanage!) and I know I am a good parent, I have 3 great kids to prove it...so why am I so cranky and nervous as I get ready to welcome this semi stranger into my world??? What will he look at? Will Ben burst out with his latest phrase of "Holy Crap!"? Will the huge hole in our foundation be a deterent (see www.projectsunset.blogspot.com for details on this chapter!) Will we sit at the table or the couches? Should I make brownies or cookies?

Such silly things to ponder, when half a world away, a mother is pregnant and facing the decision of whether to parent her child, or place her for adoption. Is she sick, did she eat tonight? Does she have a roof over her head? Is she warm enough? That is the slippery slope in this whole process. While I complain about waiting and paper work and having to clean my big old house, the woman who is growing the daughter we will eventually share, is faced with decisions I cannot even imagine having to make.

So as I clean my house tonight, taking the next step on this journey, I ask God to bless us; this mother that is growing our daughter; the daughter that will leave the arms of the mother that gives her life, and travel half way around the world to my waiting arms; and me, who already feels blessed beyond measure to hold the hope of her in my heart.

and just for good measure...pray that Ben is well behaved, the dogs don't embarass me, he doesn't look in my closet, and no bats fly our of our belfry. :)

I'll update you all tomorrow.

No comments: