Saturday, September 27, 2008

The New Normal

We have been home for a week. It feels like sunshine has been a part of our lives forever, yet we are still on a very high learning curve. I love this child with all my heart, mind and soul. There is no distinction between my love for her or any of the boys. "Birthing" her was just as spiritual, emotional, and even painful as birthing the boys. I feel so incredibly blessed. I am loving the new normal...here's a peak:
Waking up to sweet sounds in the crib next to me, with a tiny girl, eyes full of awe that I am still there.

A morning ritual of making up bottles to last through the day and sharing my cup of coffee and paper time with a bowl of mush oatmeal and the squeals of delight from sunshine.

Sitting on the carpet in the living room, playing with toys or playing the kiss and crawl game...(I have NEVER sat on the living room rug before.)

Collecting stray socks all around the house, which has always been normal, but now there are some cute pink lacy ones thrown in the mix.

I can spend an entire afternoon just rocking her while she sleeps, and the laundry and the bills, and the kitchen dishes will wait.

Learning the many faces of sunshine. What means happy, what means sad, what is a fake cry, what is a real cry, what means I love you.

Watching the boys as they love their sister with an unconditional, boundless love that just seeps out of them.

Finally feeling complete. Granted there is debt to our eyeballs, it is a horrible time to own a small business, we have one kid down with strep, and the laundry for 4 children is endless, but I don't care. I am complete. My family is perfect, and I fully intend to relax and relish the new normal.

1 comment:

melanie said...

I am so glad you feel this way...aren't these baby girls just incredible? Miss you ! melanie